|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Soft butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. Mix butter with sugar until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture. Refrigerate until firm enough to handle easily.
3. Start heatiing oven to 350Â°F.
4. On lightly-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into diamonds, squares, triangles, etc. Place, 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheet. Or pat chilled dough into 9-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with a cinnamon-and-sugar mixture, if desired.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
6. If baked in pan, cut into desired shapes while still warm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Makes about 2Yi dozen.
Walnut shortbread: Substitute 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed, for confectioners' sugar. Add 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts. Decorate cookies with walnut halves or candied cherries. Bake at 300Â°F. 20 to 25 minutes.