Tips To Identify Rotten Fruits
Rotten fruits can be a nuisance because they spoil even the good ones with them. Therefore, it is very important to identify rotten fruits in time so that you can save those, which are still good. Here are some tips for you to keep your fruits safe:
1) Always look for an expiry date on the fruit packaging. While purchasing loose fruits, you may not be able to identify the expiration date, in case of pre-packaged fruits, this is possible. Make sure that the expiration date is a good deal away in the future or ensure you will finish the fruits before the date approached near.
2) Check the fruit for mold, which is a sure shot sign of a rotten fruit. If the fruit is beginning to rot, the mold will appear like a thin cottony film over the fruit surface.
3) Pick the fruit and feel it. In case of apples, pears, melons, and avocados, the fruit should be firm. If the fruit appears soft in your hands, this means that it has begun to decay. However, if there is just one spot soft or bruised, you can probably trim it away and eat the rest of the fruit.
4) Discolored skin or wrinkled rind are other indications that the fruit is rotten. While a small spot of discoloration can be trimmed away, large brown spots on fruit exterior are sure shot way of telling that the fruit is beginning to rot.
5) If the fruit smells, well, like fruit, then it is alright. However, if it smells too strongly or like a fermented fruit, then it probably has gone bad. Always make sure to cut open a fruit before you deem it fit for consumption.
Fruits are an important part of a healthy diet and you must have 2-3 servings of fruit daily. But with that, be sure that you know how to identify rotten fruits so that all you get to eat is the fresh ones.
Image Courtesy: wdtprs.com