Happy Halloween from NY. In this decidedly disturbing episode, Chef Tony... or at least part of Chef Tony, wants to share some of the secrets to making really great toasted pumpkin seeds. Made this way, the seeds come out saturated with flavor and are so crispy and delicate you don't even have to shell them. Just pop them whole in your mouth... mmmmm. Additionally, pumpkin seeds happen to be super nutritious.
So the next time you carve pumpkins, save those seeds! For those of us on the East Coast, we now have something delicious to do as we wait out Hurricane Sandy. Leave a comment to let us know your thoughts.
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Soaked in brine and brine discarded)
1⁄4 Teaspoon (or any other herb)
1. Carve the pumpkin, and take out the seeds.
2. Place the seeds in a strainer and rinse well.
3. In a container pour in the water and add in salt and vinegar. Place the pumpkin seeds and let it sit for overnight.
4. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
5. Take out the seeds from the brine and place over a paper towel.
6. Lay down the seeds in prepared pan and season with salt, curry powder and rosemary.
7. Roast in oven for 60 minutes at 180 degrees F. Check on the seeds and toss in between.
8. For the last minute of cooking in the oven, turn the oven on broil.
9. Broil for about a minute or less, keeping a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
10. Serve Toasted Seeds with coffee and enjoy!