Poppy Seed Loaf
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce|
|1 % low fat milk||1 (plus little extra for glazing)|
|Vegetable oil cooking spray||1 (for greasing)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl, mix flour, whole-wheat flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. In a saucepan, heat milk, margarine and add to the flours and mix until dough forms. Add egg white and form a fairly firm dough.
3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for about 10 minutes; shape into a ball. Lightly grease a bowl with vegetable oil spray and place dough in it.
4. Turn the dough to coat lightly with oil and prevent drying out. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place (80°-85°F) for 2 hours, until doubled in size.
5. Punch the dough down , shape into a large oval. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
6. With a knife cut 4 to 6 diagonal slashes on top of the loaf, brush with milk, and sprinkle poppy seeds on top.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes at 25o degrees centigrade, until loaf sounds hollow when tapped with the fingertips. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Serve at room temperature.