Poppy Seed Loaf
|Poppy seed||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Maraschino cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), well drained and halved|
|Brown sugar glaze||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as to top the loaf)|
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350ºF (180°C).
2. Apply butter or margarine on a 9x5x3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) loaf pan.
3. In a small bowl, put in poppy seeds and milk. Let stand for 30 minutes.
4. Take a mixing bowl, using a hand blender beat 1 egg, butter and sugar. Then add second egg and lemon juice. Mix well. Add stir in poppy seed mixture.
5. In a second bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and cherries. Mix well.
6. Transfer all the dry mixture at once into butter mixture. Mix all together until just moistened.
7. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes.
8. Pour glaze over the top.
9. Check the doneness with a toothpick. Cool for 10 minutes. Take away from pan to finish cooling on rack.
10. Make slices and serve. Or wrap and store.