Poppy Seed Or Almond Nut Roulade
|Dry active yeast/Compressed active yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon, softened|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten with 1-tablespoon milk|
|Milk||1 Tablespoon (For Beating The Egg)|
|For poppy seed filling|
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon, softened (1 Quarter-Pound Stick)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground poppy seeds||1⁄4 Pound|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely crushed|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Grated orange peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For almond nut filling|
|Egg yolk||1 , lightly beaten|
|Grated almonds||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|White sultana raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350Â°.
2) Mix yeast and a pinch of sugar with lukewarm water.
3) Make sure that the water is lukewarm to about 110Â° to 115Â° temperatureâ€”neither too hot nor too cool to the touch.
4) Let the mixture stand for about 2 to 3 minutes and stir it to dissolve the yeast completely.
5) Set in a warm placeâ€”such as an unlighted ovenâ€”for about 2 or 3 minutes, or until the yeast has begun to bubble and has almost become doubled in volume.
6) In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast solution, the milk, vanilla extract, lemon peel, sugar and salt, and then stir in the egg yolks, 1 at a time.
7) Beat in the 1/2 flour cup at a time and then beat the soft butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
8) Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead it to an oval shape, pressing it down and pushing it forward several times with the heels of your hands.
9) Repeat the process of pulling, folding, pressing and pushing the dough.
10) Continue to knead, sprinkling more flour on the dough or the working surface if either becomes sticky.
11) The dough should be smooth and elastic in about 10 minutes.
12) Put into a large, lightly buttered bowl, dust the top of the dough lightly with flour and cover the bowl loosely with a kitchen towel.
13) Let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free area for about 35 to 45 minutes; it should become doubled in size.
14) POPPY SEED FILLING: Mix the butter and honey by beating them together with a wooden spoon or by using an electric mixer.
15) Add a tablespoon of cream at a time.
16) Stir in the ground poppy seeds, nuts, raisins and orange peel.
17) ALMOND NUT FILLING: Mix the butter and sugar by beating them together with a wooden spoon or by using an electric mixer.
18) Beat in the egg yolk, and then gradually stir in the grated almonds, orange peel, raisins and vanilla extract.
19) Continue to stir until the ingredients are mixed well.
20) Set the filling aside.
21) With your hand, turn the dough on a floured surface, knead it again for a minute and make it into rectangular shape.
22) Roll it into a rectangle of about 9 inches X 13 inches; it should be about 3/4 inch thick.
23) Take a pastry brush or paper towel and lightly butter an 8-by-15-inch baking sheet.
24) With a metal spatula, spread the poppy seed or almond nut filling over the rectangular dough in a layer of about 1/8 inch thick, leaving 3/4 inch as border on each side of the rectangle.
25) Start with a 13-inch side; roll the dough like a long jellyroll. (Do not close the ends.)
26) With a metal spatula, gently maneuver the roll, onto the baking sheet.
27) Brush the top and sides of the roulade with the egg-milk mixture.
28) Let it rise in a warm, draft-free spot for 20 minutes, and then brush it again with the mixture.
29) Bake the roll in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes, or until it is a light golden brown.
30) Do not worry if the rich filling may cause the pastry to crack a little.
31) Cool the roulade to room temperature on a cake rack before slicing and serving.
Make sure the water is not too hot as it will kill the yeast and if it is too cold, it will not activate the yeast.