Poppy Seed Cookies
|Sifted flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking soda||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Sour milk/Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon peel||2 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Sift the flour with the baking soda and salt.
2. Beat the butter, margarine or shortening until soft; gradually add the sugar, beating until creamy. Add the egg and beat thoroughly.
3. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk, mixing well after each addition; stir in the lemon juice, peel and poppy seeds; beat well. Cover the dough with waxed paper in the refrigerator to chill 1 hour.
4. Start oven, set at Hot, 425° F. Rub baking sheets with margarine or shortening.
5. Roll out dough 1/8-inch thick; cut into fancy shapes and place on baking sheets. Bake about 6 minutes, or until delicately browned. Remove to cake racks and let cool.