Vietnamese Muc Rang Muoi - Salt Toasted Squid
|Calamari||1 , sliced into 1 inch pieces|
|Eggs||1 Large, beaten|
|Vegetable oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (for frying)|
|For the batter|
|Wondra flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Five spice powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For the deep fried vegetables|
|Red bell peppers||1 Large, finely sliced|
|Garlic||4 Medium, minced|
|White onions||1 Large, roughly sliced|
|Jalapenos||1 Large, sliced|
|For the stir fry|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm)|
|Green onions||2 Medium|
|Thai chili sauce||4 Tablespoon (Mae Ploy Brand)|
|Salt and pepper||1 Pinch|
1. On a chopping board, place the squid pieces and using a sharp knife, make fine criss-cross lines on one side of the squid. Once done set it aside onto a plate and using a paper towel pat dry the pieces.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, five spice powder, garlic powder, and black pepper powder. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oil for frying to 375 degrees F.
4. Once the oil is hot, take the sliced onions, red bell pepper, garlic and jalapenos. Fry them in the oil until golden brown and crispy. Once done, remove them onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Set aside.
5. Take the dry squid pieces one at a time, dip them in the egg mixture, then into the wondra flour and set aside.
6. Make sure the temperature of the oil remains at 375 degrees. Take the battered pieces one at a time and flash fry them for 3 -4 minutes. Once done, remove them onto a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Set aside.
7. In a pan on medium high, heat oil and saute garlic slices and green onion for 1 minute. Stir in the Thai chilli sauce and saute it for another 1 minute.
8. Toss in the deep fried vegetables and the fried squid pieces and saute it for another 2 minutes until well combined.
9. Plate the squid and the stir fry vegetables and serve it hot garnished with coriander leaves along side a lemon dip or with a bowl of steamed rice.
Calories 3787 Calories from Fat 3002
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 340 g522.7%
Saturated Fat 45.2 g226.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 571.9 mg190.6%
Sodium 1686.5 mg70.3%
Total Carbohydrates 139 g46.5%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.6%
Sugars 18.8 g
Protein 51 g102.6%
Vitamin A 54.4% Vitamin C 203.5%
Calcium 27.6% Iron 53%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet