Saffron Seafood Hot Pot
|For saffron/ fennel broth|
|Clams juice||2 Quart|
|Fennel bulbs||2 Large, chop|
|Onion||1 Large, chop|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), mince|
|Saffron threads||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, chop|
|Fresh parsley||1 Ounce|
|Bay leaves||3 Small|
|Grape seed oil||3 Ounce|
|For hot pot|
|Bass filet||4 Ounce (Wild Stripe)|
|Clams||3 Medium (Manila)|
|Mussels in the shell||2 Medium (Carlsbad)|
|Scallop||1 Medium (U-10)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), mince|
|Shallot||1 Tablespoon, mince|
|Baby carrots||2 Medium|
|Mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs), slice|
|Zucchini||1 Small, strips|
|Leek||1 Medium, chop (white only)|
|Grape seed oil||2 Ounce|
|Fennel broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Chop the fennel bulbs, slice the onions and mince the garlic.
2. Chop the tomatoes and fresh parsley, set aside.
3. Slice the mushrooms, split the carrots in half and cut the zucchini into strips, chop the leeks, mince the shallots, set aside.
4. Score the back of the bass fillet, clean the shrimps and devein, wash and clean the clams, mussels and scallop, set aside.
5. Preheat a large stock pot with oil, and add white fish bones, lightly cook it.
6. Cook for 3 minutes and add fennel, onion, garlic, saffron and clam juice, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add the bay leaf, parsley and tomatoes, stir and then add the water.
8. Bring it to a boil and the lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour and then turn off the heat.
9. Pre-heat large skillet with grape seed oil until oil starts to lightly smoke
10. Carefully add bass skin side down in pan and sear for one minute.
11. Add clams, mussels, scallops and vegetables, including garlic and shallot, and cook for one minute while shaking pan.
12. Add two cups of saffron and fennel broth and poach for two minutes, season with salt and pepper add the broken chard leaves.
13. Arrange all ingredients in a deep bowl and pour cooking broth on top.
14. Garnish with crusty bread and enjoy!