Deep Fried Squid
Ginger juice - 1 teaspoon
Chinese rice wine - 1 tablespoon
Boiling water - About 1 pint (575 ml)
Oil for deep-frying
Coriander leaves to garnish
Spicy salt and pepper to serve
1. To prepare the squid clean it by discarding the head, the transparent backbone as well as the ink bag.
2. Then peel off the thin skin, wash and dry well (often this part will already have been done by the fishmonger).
3. Open up the squid and score the inside of the flesh in a criss-cross pattern.
4. Cut into pieces about the size of a large postage stamp, then marinate with ginger juice and wine for 25-30 minutes.
5. Then remove the squid and pat dry to remove excess of moisture.
6. Coat the marinated fish in flour and deep fry in a frying pan full of hot oil.
7. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper towels to remove excess.
8. Serve with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a garnish of cilantro.