Deep Fried Scampi
|Scampi||1 Pound, cleaned|
|Scampi||1 Pound, cleaned and prepared (450 Grams)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|For the batter|
|Plain flour||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Place scampi in a colander and rinse under cold water.
2. Drain and pat dry on paper toweling. Set aside.
3. To make the batter for the scampi, into a bowl, sieve together the flour and salt.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the oil and water.
5. Use a wooden spoon, mix quickly and thoroughly working from center to outside and beating until batter is smooth.
6. In a separate clean dry bowl, add the egg white and whisk with an egg beater or wire whisk until it is stiff.
7. Fold the stiff egg white into the batter, making it light and airy.
8. In a deep fat fryer or pan, heat sufficient oil.
9. When the oil is hot, dip scampi one at a time, into the batter, using a fork, allowing excess to drip back into the bowl.
10. Drop the scampi into the hot oil and fry in batches, for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until evenly crisp and golden.
11. Remove and drain on paper toweling.
12. Keep the fried scampi hot and crisp in a warm oven, while frying the rest.
13. Arrange fried scampi on a platter and garnish with lemon wedges.
14. Serve with tartare sauce if you like.