Andouille Sausage, Shrimp, and Oyster Gumbo
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Smoked andouille sausages/Polish kielbasa||1 Pound, sliced|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Unbleached)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small, seeded, chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 Small, seeded, chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Cold water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Oysters||24 , shucked (Liquid Reserved)|
|Plum tomatoes with their liquid||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Tabasco sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sliced shallots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon (Cilantro)|
1. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and brown the sausages, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a platter with a slotted spoon and reserve. Pour off all but two tablespoons of fat and make a roux by adding the flour and stirring almost constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon for about 45 minutes or until dark golden brown, adjusting the heat downwards if it is cooking too fast.
2. Add the red and green bell peppers and the onion. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the vegetables are soft, 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a few tablespoons of water to scrap up any residue on the bottom of the pan.
3. In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the bay leaf and salt. Drop the shrimp into the boiling water and boil for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp with a slotted ladle and reduce the heat to low, and let the water simmer for 15 minutes. As you peel the shrimp throw the heads and/or shells back into the simmering water.
4. Strain the shrimp broth discarding the shells and bay leaf. Pour the broth into a clean pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the roux mixture, the sausage, oyster liquid, tomatoes, thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Tabasco sauce, and shallots and simmer for 2 hours over low heat, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in the shrimp, oysters, and coriander leaves and cook until the shrimp are orange and the edges of the oysters have curled up, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Image © Michelle van Vliet
Recipe © Clifford A. Wright
This recipe is excerpted from the book Some Like It Hot by Clifford A. Wright.For more information or to purchase the book, please visit CliffordAWright.Com
Calories 746 Calories from Fat 318
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.5%
Saturated Fat 9 g45%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 338.9 mg113%
Sodium 3892.5 mg162.2%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 65 g130.2%
Vitamin A 88.9% Vitamin C 163.3%
Calcium 13.2% Iron 107.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet