Stir Fried Scallops
|Sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Sliced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs) (1/2 Inch Thick)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Canned sliced bamboo shoots||5 Ounce, well drained|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Instant chicken broth||1 Teaspoon (1 Envelope)|
|Fresh spinach||10 Ounce, washed and trimmed (1 Package)|
1. Parboil the carrots and celery in boiling water in medium-size saucepan 5 minutes; drain and dry with paper toweling; reserve.
2. Slice the scallops into very thin circles with a sharp, thin-blade knife; pat dry with paper toweling and reserve.
3. Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the water in a cup; blend until smooth; reserve.
4. Heat large, heavy skillet until it sizzles when sprinkled with a few drops of water; add 1 tablespoon of the oil; heat; stir in salt. Spear garlic with fork; brown on all sides in oil in skillet; remove and discard.
5. Add scallops to the skillet; cook, stirring very rapidly, for 30 seconds; push to one side. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and heat. Add, in order, the onions, carrots, celery and bamboo shoots, cooking and stirring very rapidly for 2 minutes after each addition, then pushing to one side of skillet with scallops.
6. Make well in center of skillet; to this well, add the remaining water, soy sauce, sherry, instant chicken broth and the sugar; stir to mix. Cover; lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
7. Add spinach; cover; cook for 3 minutes longer, or until the spinach wilts. Stir in the cornstarch mixture; cook until mixture thickens, clears and bubbles 3 minutes. Serve immediately over hot rice, if you wish.