|Crayfish water||3 Pound|
|Regular long grain rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salad oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground red pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Rinse crayfish with running cold water; discard any that show no sign of life.
2. In 8-quart saucepot over high heat, heat 4 quarts water to boiling. Add crayfish; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Drain and cool crayfish until easy to handle. Remove tail meat from crayfish; set aside.
3. Prepare rice as label directs; keep warm.
4. In 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat salad oil until hot. Stir flour into hot oil and cook, stirring frequently, until flour is dark brown but not burned, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in onion, celery, green pepper, salt, ground red pepper, basil, and thyme leaves; cook 1 minute.
5. Gradually stir in 3/4 cup water; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens slightly and boils. Reduce heat to low; cover; simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add crayfish meat; heat through.