Pan-Fried Skate Wings
|Skate wings/125 150g each||4 Medium, trimmed and skinned|
|Plain flour||50 Gram|
|Vegetable oil||4 Tablespoon (to shallow fry)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Sea salt/Pepper||2 Tablespoon (use as per taste)|
1. Ask your fishmonger to trim the skate wings and remove any skin and cut them into equal size pieces.
2. Place the flour into a shallow dish and season well with sea salt and freshly milled black pepper.
3. Grate the zest off the lemon into a small bowl, cut it in half and squeeze out the juice into the bowl, removing any pips.
4. Wash, dry and chop the parsley and place in a small clean bowl.
5. Drain the capers from their jar, rinse lightly under cold water, dry and place in another small, clean bowl.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
7. Over a medium heat, heat a heavy-based frying pan and add a little oil to shallow fry.
8. Pass the skate wings through the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess flour and carefully lower the skate wings into the hot oil, lowering it away from you when placing into the pan to avoid any splashes of hot oil.
9. Fry the skate wings on one side for 2–3 minutes, then carefully turn over and cook the other side until golden brown in color.
10. Remove the skate wings from the pan onto a baking tray and place in the oven for about 5 minutes, depending on the size of the skate wings.
11. To check if the skate is cooked, gently press it to see if it starts to come apart.
12. Empty the oil from your frying pan and wipe out with a few sheets of kitchen paper or use a clean pan.
To make beurre noisette:
13. Return to the heat, add the butter and allow to melt such that the butter will start to foam.
14. Continue to cook the butter until it goes a dark brown in color watching carefully as it will begin to color quite quickly.
15. Then add the lemon juice and zest.
16. Remove from the heat and add the capers and chopped parsley and mix well.
17. Remove the skate wings from the oven and carefully place each skate wing onto warmed plates.
18. Spoon over the beurre noisette, capers and parsley and serve immediately.