1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (1 cup roughly grated+½ cup finely grated for topping)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Add the butter and using a pastry cutter combine the butter into the flour making it look like a crumble mixture.
4. Add the roughly grated cheddar cheese and mix. Pour in the milk and quickly whisk the batter to form a soft sticky dough.
5. On a floured board, place the dough and press it in together to make sure there are no cracks. Then form it or pat out into a 3 quarter inch deep square.
6. Take a knife and cut out oblong shapes in the square dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Take the finely grated cheddar cheese and top each piece with this cheese. Bake these scones in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.
8. Once done remove and let them cool on rack for 5 minutes.
9. Serve these cheddar cheese scones with tea or coffee.