|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Un sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Currants||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 425° F.
2) Take 2 baking sheets and lightly grease each one.
3) Take a mixing bowl and beat together 1 cup milk and eggs. Keep aside 2 tablespoons of the mixture in a small cup for glazing later.
4) In a large bowl mix together sugar, flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening and mix with a pastry blender until a crumbly mixture is formed. Add currants and the egg mixture. Mix nicely with a fork until soft but non-sticky dough is formed. Add extra milk if dough feels too dry.
5) Partition dough into half and roll out each half on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness.
6) Take a 3 inch round cookie cutter and make as many scones as possible.
7) Transfer the scone to the greased baking sheets and keeping each one 2 inches apart. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
8) Reroll all scraps of dough and form as many scones as possible. Brush the top of each scone with the reserved egg mixture.
9) Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
10) Slice each scone horizontally into half. Serve with clotted cream and raspberry jam, if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1620 Calories from Fat 606
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 69 g105.5%
Saturated Fat 18.2 g90.8%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 430.5 mg143.5%
Sodium 2338.6 mg97.4%
Total Carbohydrates 220 g73.3%
Dietary Fiber 34.2 g136.6%
Sugars 24.9 g
Protein 51 g102.9%
Vitamin A 12.2% Vitamin C 38.3%
Calcium 135.1% Iron 79.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet