|Plain flour||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Soda bicarbonate||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Cream of tartar||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Castor sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Egg||1 (Made Up To 1/4 Pint With Milk)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Required)|
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) In a large mixing basin sift flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar (or use 4 level teaspoons baking powder).
3) Cut in butter and add sugar.
4) Add egg and milk. Mix together.
5) Measure egg and milk and mix. Alternately add approximately 4 tablespoons milk to the egg.
6) Add egg and milk into the centre of the dry ingredients.
7) With a fork or blade of a knife, mix into a soft dough.
8) Lightly flour a surface and place the dough in it.
9) Pat or roll out to a thickness no less than 1/2 inch (1 cm).
10) With a sharp floured knife cut into squares or cut out rounds with a 2-inch (5-cm) floured cutter.
11) There will be 9-12 scones. Use up all the trimmings.
12) On a floured baking tray arrange the scones. Sprinkle flour over it.
13) Keep at the top of oven and bake for 10 minutes.
14) Serve warm.
To make soft light scones dust the tin and the scones with flour before baking.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1627 Calories from Fat 408
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.3%
Saturated Fat 26.4 g131.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 314.2 mg104.7%
Sodium 1525.2 mg63.6%
Total Carbohydrates 277 g92.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.8%
Sugars 91.6 g
Protein 24 g47.6%
Vitamin A 28.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 18.8% Iron 11%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet