Prizewinning Orange Scones With Berries And Cream
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||5 1⁄2 Tablespoon, cut into pieces|
|Egg||1 Large (Extra Large Sized)|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh berries||8 Cup (128 tbs), hulled (if necessary), washed and well dried (Such As Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries And Tayberries)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Depending Upon Sweetness Of Berries)|
|Whipping cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), whipped and lightly sweetened with 2 teaspoons granulated sugar|
1) Preheat oven hot to 425 degrees F.
2) Grease a baking sheet lightly.
3) Prepare scones in a small bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix thoroughly.
4) With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter till mixture resembles coarse meal.
5) In a small bowl add egg and cream and lightly beat it.
6) Stir it in the flour mixture till well blended.
7) On a lightly floured board knead the dough for 1 minute.
8) Make it into a rectangle approximately 4 inches by 8 inches.
9) Baste it with melted butter.
10) Sprinkle sugar and orange zest over it.
11) Beginning from the long side, roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Seal seams pinching the edges lightly with fingers.
12) Make 8 slices from the roll 1 inch thick.
13) Arrange the slices cut side down on greased baking sheet.
14) Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
15) Place on racks to cool and pack in plastic bags.
16) Put in a picnic basket.
17) In a large portable bowl put slices strawberries along with other whole berries.
18) Sprinkle sugar on top. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
19) Put in a basket or cooler to carry to the picnic.
20) In a leak proof container put whipped cream and refrigerate till chilled before packing in the cooler.
21) Serve heap spoonfuls of berries over a scone and top with whipped cream.