Gluten Free Cherry Oat Scones
|Rice milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Gluten free flour mix||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Gluten free old fashioned oats||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Dairy free soy free vegetable shortening||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dried cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together 1 cup of the rice milk and the cider vinegar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Add the oats and toss. Add the shortening in pieces, and work in with a pastry blender or two knives until you have a pea-sized crumb.
5. Add the cherries, tossing until combined.
6. Add the rice milk mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined but still clumpy.
7. Flour a work surface lightly with a little gluten-free flour mix, and turn out the dough. Lightly flour your hands. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour mix.
8. Divide the dough in half. The dough will be sticky. Shape into two 6-inch disks. Cut the disks into 6 pie-shaped wedges. Transfer the scones to the baking sheet. Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons rice milk, then sprinkle with sanding sugar.
9. Bake in the center of the oven for 17 minutes, or until lightly golden.
10. Serve warm from the oven, or let cool on a cooling rack.