Tasty Rhubarb Biscuits
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (for the biscuits)|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon (for the biscuits)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for the biscuits)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for the biscuits)|
|Canola oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for the biscuits)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for the biscuits)|
|Eggs||1 , lightly beaten (for the biscuits)|
|Orange zest||1 Tablespoon, grated (for the biscuits)|
|Rhubarb||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (for the biscuits)|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon (for the sauce)|
|Raspberry jelly||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the sauce)|
|Fresh raspberry||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for the sauce)|
|Raspberry liquer||3 Tablespoon (for the sauce)|
1. In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil, add 1 cup raspberry jelly, 1 cup fresh raspberry, 3 tablespoons of raspberry liquer and simmer for 2 minutes.
2. Strain the contents of the saucepan and keep aside. This is the Triple Raspberry Threat Sauce to be served with the Rhubarb biscuits.
3. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest and salt.
5. In a small bowl, combine canola oil, milk, and eggs.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
7. Pour in the liquid ingredients in the well. Add the rhubarb.
8. Mix well in order to combine the ingredients.
9. Place the dough on a well-floured board, knead 6 to 7 times to form into a nice ball.
10. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into ½ inch (1.25 cm) thickness.
11. Cut into rounds using 2-inch (5 cm) cookie cutter.
12. Place the rounds on a canola oiled baking pan.
13. Bake this for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
14. Serve the biscuits with Triple Raspberry Threat Sauce.
Calories 467 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.1%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 36.2 mg12.1%
Sodium 388.3 mg16.2%
Total Carbohydrates 81 g26.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.8%
Sugars 33.8 g
Protein 7 g13.6%
Vitamin A 1.8% Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 23.7% Iron 16.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet