Grilled scallop is a seafood based dish made by grilling scallops over hot charcoal or gas grill. The dish can be either served as a main seafood dish or can be included as one of entrees of a steak dinner.
Tips to Grill Scallops
A few tips to keep in mind while grilling scallops have been listed hereunder:
- Both grill and scallops should be brushed with oil before starting the grilling process, so as to prevent the scallops from sticking to grill.
- The scallops should be grilled over direct heat, so that the inside portion is cooked properly and the exterior part is seared.
- Overcooking the scallops is not at all suggested. Undercooked scallops are always better options as compared to overcooked scallops.
- It is suggested to make use of fresh and dry scallops for grilling purposes. Frozen scallops should be only the last alternative.
- Size of scallops should be checked prior to grilling process. The scallops should be sliced horizontally or cut in halves if the diameter of the seafood is larger than two inches.
Ingredients and Preparation
The basic grilled scallops recipe suggests using large sized scallops, olive oil, black pepper, salt, and lemon pepper as the ingredients.
Olive oil coated and seasoned scallops are refrigerated before being grilled and served hot. The scallops are often threaded onto metal skewers or wooden skewers and then grilled. When using wooden skewers for threading scallops, it is recommended to soak the skewers in water for around half an hour to prevent flare ups on grill.
Grilled Scallops Recipe Variations
A few popular variations of grilled scallops are as follows:
- Butter mix coated grilled scallop- scallops are coated with a sautéed mix of butter, garlic, and onions, and then grilled on preheated grill after being threaded onto skewers. The dish is then served hot after tossing the scallops with warm butter mix.
- Seasoned grilled scallops with parsley, paprika, and lemon wedges- scallops are coated with a mix of olive oil, pepper, salt, and paprika; threaded onto wooden skewers; and grilled on preheated grill. The skewers are turned around during grilling process to ensure that scallops are cooked evenly. The scallops are grilled until opaque and served with melted butter, lemon wedges, and parsley.
- Grilled soy sauce and pineapple juice marinated scallops- scallops are marinated in a mix of lime juice, lime zest, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and ginger for around half an hour, and then grilled onto metal skewers on preheated gas grill or hot charcoal fire. The dish is served after sprinkling with toasted sesame seeds and garnishing with lemon wedges.
6.3 oz of grilled scallops is enriched with 29 calories, obtained from 0.3 g of fat, 2 mg of sodium, 5.9 g of carbohydrate, and 1.9 g of protein.