Phyllo Sausage Log
|Bulk pork sausage||3⁄4 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Large curd cottage cheese||8 Ounce (1 Carton)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, thawed and pressed dry (1 Package)|
|Shredded mozzarella cheese||6 Ounce (1 1/2 Cup)|
|Frozen phyllo pastry sheets||8 , thawed (Commercial Variety)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), melted|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. In a large skillet cook sausage and onion until meat is browned, stirring to crumble and drain off pan drippings.
3. Stir in cottage cheese, spinach and moz-zarella cheese and set aside.
4. Working one at a time and keeping remaining phyllo covered brush 1 sheet of phyllo with melted butter.
5. Lightly grease a baking sheet and place the brushed phyllo sheets on it.
6. Brush remaining sheets of phyllo with additional butter, stacking sheets evenly after brushing.
7. Spoon sausage mixture on phyllo in a 2-inch strip about 3 inches from one lengthwise edge and to within 2 inches of crosswise edges.
8. Fold the 3-inch edge of dough over filling and roll up phyllo log, jellyroll fashion.
9. Place log, seam side down, on baking sheet and tuck ends under.
10. Brush with additional butter and bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until golden brown.
11. Cool 5 minutes, cut into slices to serve and serve.