Italian Sausage and Lentils
|Italian sausages||1 1⁄2 Pound (About 6 In Number)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced / mashed|
|Lentils||12 Ounce, rinsed (1 3/4 Cup)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Whole bay leaf||1|
|Marjoram leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Turnips||3 Cup (48 tbs), cut in 1/3-inch-thick slices|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Dry red wine/2 tablespoons wine vinegar with 1/3 cup water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1. In a Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add sausages and brown on all sides.
3. Drain out and reserve.
4. To the pan add onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
5. Halve the sausages and add to the pan.
6. Add lentils, water, bay, marjoram, thyme, and oregano.
7. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
8. Mix turnips, tomatoes, and wine to Dutch oven.
9. Cook over simmering heat for 40 minutes until lentils are just tender.
10. Mix half the parsley.
11. Transfer into serving bowl.
12. Sprinkle remaining parsley on top.
Calories 848 Calories from Fat 411
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.9%
Saturated Fat 17.6 g88%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.3 mg40.1%
Sodium 1044.6 mg43.5%
Total Carbohydrates 64 g21.3%
Dietary Fiber 25.2 g100.9%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 42 g84.6%
Vitamin A 37.6% Vitamin C 68.3%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 50.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet