Kidney and Sausage Saute
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chipolata sausages||1⁄2 Pound (225 gram)|
|Lamb kidneys||4 , skin and cores removed and halved|
|Onion||1 , peeled and sliced|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Red wine||1⁄4 Pint (150 milliliter)|
|Beef stock||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled and chopped|
1) In a large pan, saute the sausages in oil over a low heat, until lightly browned.
2) Remove the sausages with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
3) In the same pan, saute the kidneys, until lightly browned on all sides.
4) Remove the kidneys with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
5) In the same pan, saute the onion over a low heat, until tender.
6) Stir in the flour and cook over a low heat for 2 minutes.
7) Then gradually stir in the wine and beef stock, stir continuously and bring to a boil.
8) Season with the salt and pepper to taste, then stir in the chopped celery and tomatoes.
9) Return the sausages and kidneys into the pan and add the bouquet garni.
10) Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the sausages and kidneys are tender.
11) Remove and discard the bouquet garni.
12) If you wish to freeze the recipe do it at this stage. Transfer the cooled Kidney and Sausage Saute to a freezer friendly container, seal, label and freeze.
13) Serve the Kidney and Sausage Saute immediately on a serving platter.
14) If using the frozen dish, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours, then reheat gently while stirring occasionally. Serve hot or as indicated in step 13.