Beef and Sausage Stew
|Beef stew meat||1 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Apples||3 Medium, peeled, cored, and chopped to make 2 3/4 cups|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Beef broth||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Sausage links||1 Pound, cut into bite-size pieces (Polish Variety)|
|Carrots||6 Medium, sliced to make 3 cups|
|Cabbage||6 Cup (96 tbs), chopped|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a saucepan cook bacon till crisp; crumble bacon and set aside, reserving the drippings in the pan.
2. Brown stew meat in the reserved drippings.
3. Mix apples and onion; cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
4. Combine 3 cups of the beef broth to pot and salt; bring it to boil.
5. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 1/4 hours or till meat is nearly tender.
6. Stir in sausage pieces and carrots; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
7. Stir in cabbage; cover and simmer for 10 minutes more.
8. Blend the remaining beef broth and flour into the stew; cook till the mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring continuous to avoid forming lumps.
9. Arrange the soup in individual serving bowl and serve hot with toasted garlic bread.
10. Top each serving with some crumbled bacon.
Calories 872 Calories from Fat 481
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g82.2%
Saturated Fat 16.4 g82.2%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 173 mg57.7%
Sodium 2091.5 mg87.1%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.4%
Sugars 22.4 g
Protein 55 g109.2%
Vitamin A 313.6% Vitamin C 92.4%
Calcium 13.6% Iron 25.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet