Mushroom Sausage Ragout
|Garlic/Garlic powder- 1/4 teaspoon||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Sweet italian sausage||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch dices|
|Fresh pork sausage links in casing||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2 inch dices|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound, drained (1 Can, 2 Cups)|
|Uncooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lettuce head||1 Small, shredded|
|Bouillon/Meat stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Frozen peas||10 1⁄2 Ounce, cooked (Use 1 Package)|
|Pimientos||2 , diced|
|Dried currants/White raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), soaked in hot water|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2) In a casserole heat butter and sautÃ© onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until limp.
3) Stir in the mushrooms and sausages, cook for a 4 minutes.
4) Add in the tomatoes and rice in the onion mixture and stir together.
6) Mix in the lettuce, seasonings and hot stock.
7) Stir to combine, bring to a boil and cover.
8) Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
9) Uncover, stir and simmer for 10 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
10) Add in the in peas, pimientos and currants and stir well.
11) Serve hot with chopped parsley if desired.
You can use tomato liquid or liquid from peas as part of stock.