Spiced Sausage With Greens, Corn, And Apples
|Spicy chicken sausage/Turkey sausages||1 1⁄2 Pound, smoked (8 Sausages)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Granny smith apples||2|
|Frozen corn kernels||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Greens||1 Pound (Such As Escarole, Mustard Greens, Or Kale)|
1. Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
2. Cut the sausages into 1/2-inch rounds. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage rounds and cook them about 4 minutes, while you peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2-inch dice.
3. Stir the sausages, add the apples and corn, and cover the skillet. Simmer over low heat 10 to 12 minutes, while you prepare and blanch the greens.
4. Fill a large bowl with cold water. Remove and discard the thick stems of the greens, and tear the leaves into 2-inch pieces. Soak them in the bowl of water; then lift them out, leaving the grit behind in the bowl. Repeat this step once more with fresh water.
5. Plunge the greens into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute to soften. Drain, and add the blanched greens to the skillet. Stir, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve in deep bowls.