Red Beans Sausage And Rice
|Dried red kidney beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Turkey sausage||8 Ounce (Links)|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot pepper sauce||1 Dash|
1) In a large bowl, soak kidney beans in cold water and leave aside for at least 8 hours or a whole night after covering with a plate. Else follow the quick-soak method to soak kidney beans.
2) On the following day, drain excess water from beans and keep aside.
3) In a large heavy saucepan, heated over moderate heat, heat oil and sauté onions and celery and in it for about 5 minutes until lightly browned and softened.
4) Mix in beans with 1 quart water, stock, and bay leaf and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
5) Simmer for 10 minutes and then boil again for 35 to 45 minutes until soft, covering the pan partially and stirring only when needed.
6) Discard the bay leaf.
7) In the meantime, in a large saucepan, bring the sausages to a boil after covering them with water.
8) Let cool the mixture after simmering for about 15 minutes and draining the excess water.
9) Remove the sausage casings cautiously and then slice sausages into thin pieces.
10) To the same saucepan, add rice with the beans and salt, pepper, and hot pepper sauce to taste.
11) Simmer the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes more until the beans and rice are heated through.
12) Stir in sausage slices and cook for about 5 minutes until cooked well.
13) Serve hot.