Sausage and Cabbage Au Gratin
|Pork sausage||1⁄2 Pound (In Bulk)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|American cheese||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated|
|Cracker crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Roughly chop the cabbage.
2. Grease a large casserole with butter or oil.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F
4. In a large saucepan salted water to a boil.
5. Add the cabbage and blanch until tender crisp.
6. Drain reserving the cooking liquid.
7. Combine 2 cups liquid with milk.
8. In a large skillet, sauté the sausage meat, breaking up the chunks, until well browned.
9. Drain off the fat and keep aside.
10. In a saucepan, melt the sausage fat over a low flame.
11. Blend in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
12. Gradually add the liquid, stirring until well blended with the flour.
13. Cook, stirring until thick and bring to a boil about 5 minutes.
14. In the greased casserole, layer cabbage, sausage meat and sauce alternately.
15. Top with crumbs and cheese.
16. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until topping is golden and sauce is bubbly.
17. Serve straight out of the oven with crusty bread.