|Beef||4 Pound (Chuck / Rump / Rolled Roast)|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Whole black peppers||1 Teaspoon|
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For sour cream gravy|
|Liquid||1 Cup (16 tbs) (From Meat)|
|Seedless raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Gingersnaps||6 , crumbled|
|Thick sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Pre-heat oven at 300° C.
1. In a crock or large bowl, mix meat with salt.
2. Add onion, bay leaves and peppers.
3. In a pan, mix vinegar and water. Heat it.
4. Add sugar. Mix it well and continue heating till it dissolves.
5. Pour the above liquid over meat.
6. Cover it with a lid and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days. Turn around meat once each day.
7. Separate the meat from the liquid. Keep the liquid aside for basting.
8. With a paper towel, pat meat to remove liquid.
9. In covered roaster or Dutch oven, brown beef on all sides in hot shortening.
10. Pour 1 cup of the marinating liquid over it.
11. Cover with lid and cook in slow oven at 300° for 3 hours or until beef is tender. If required add more marinating liquid.
13. Remove beef and slice it for serving. Keep it hot while you prepare Sour Cream Gravy as gravy curdles if it stands.
14. For the gravy, strain liquid left from cooking beef and skim off fat.
15. In a skillet, melt sugar.
16. Pour strained liquid gradually.
17. Add raisins and gingersnaps. Mix it well. Cook until it becomes thick and smooth and keep stirring.
18. Pour sour cream and let it cook till the cream becomes hot.
19. Pour Sour Cream Gravy over meat. Serve Sauerbraten immediately.