|Onions||2 Medium, sliced|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Red wine vinegar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Beef rump roast||4 Pound|
|Gravy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Needed)|
1. In a large bowl, mix together onions, lemon, red wine vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns, sugar, ginger, 2 1/2 cups water and 1 tablespoon salt.
2. Add beef roast and turn to coat on all sides.
3. Cover bowl and refrigerate for about 1 ½ days; turn meat many time to marinate well on all sides.
4. Before cooking, remove meat from marinade and wipe dry with paper towel.
5. Strain and reserve marinade.
6. In a Dutch oven, heat shortening and fry meat until browned on all sides.
7. Pour in reserved marinade.
8. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 2 hours until meat is tender.
9. Remove meat in a plate and spoon gravy over it.