Red Wine Vinegar- 1/2 cup
Water- 1 cup
Onion- 1 medium, thinly sliced
Bay Leaf- 1 no.
Cloves- 3 whole
Black Peppercorns- 6 whole
Vegetable Oil or Bacon Fat- 3 tablespoons
Onions- 2 medium, chopped
Celery- 1 stalk , chopped
Carrot- 1medium, chopped
Salt- 1 teaspoon
All-Purpose Flour- 3 tablespoons, mixed to a paste, in 3 tablespoons cold water
Salt- to taste
Pepper- to taste
Light or Heavy Cream- 1/2 cup (optional)
1) In a glass bowl, put the meat.
2) In a saucepan, place together wine, vinegar and water, onion, bay leaf, cloves and peppercorn.
3) Heat to a boil, remove from heat, and let it cool.
4) Spoon the vinegar mixture over meat.
5) Put the lid on and refrigerate for 2 days.
6) Turn meat twice daily in the marinade.
7) Take the meat out of the marinade.
8) Drain the marinade and reserve 1 cup of it.
9) In a large non-stick pan heat oil and brown the beef on all sides.
10) Place in slow cooker.
11) In the same pan, heat ¼ cup of reserved marinade.
12) Simmer stirring constantly to remove the bits from the pan.
13) Slowly stream the wine mixture over the meat along with remaining marinade, onions, celery, carrots and salt.
14) Put the lid on and simmer for 10 hours.
15) Take the meat out of gravy, slice, and keep it warm.
16) Drain the cooking liquid into a saucepan.
17) Return the cooking liquid back to saucepan and add flour-water paste.
18) Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened and season with salt and pepper.
19) Fold in cream if desired.
20) Spoon some of the gravy over the meat and serve remainder separately.