|Beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Gherkins||2 , chopped|
|Mixed herbs||To Taste|
|For the marinade|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
1) First, prepare the marinade by mixing the ingredients.
2) Then, beat the meat well and marinate for at least overnight.
3) Next day, preheat the oven to 400 F.
4) Presoak the Romertopf (clay pot).
5) From the marinade, remove the meat and dry well.
6) Rub the meat with salt and pepper to taste.
7) Into the soaked Romertopf, put the meat along with the chopped herbs.
8) On top, add a little of the marinade to reach about 1 inch depth in the pot.
9) In the oven, cook covered for 2 1/2 hours. Remember to remove the cover during the last 20 minutes so that the meat turns brown.
10) From the pot, drain off the liquid.
11) Through a sieve, strain this liquid and add cornflour to thicken.
12) To this gravy, add the chopped gherkins.
13) Serve the Sauerbraten with dumplings, boiled potatoes or rice.