Sauerbraten With Vegetables
|Pot roast of beef||5 Pound (Use Either Round Or Rump)|
|Vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , sliced|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Potatoes||3 Large, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Carrots||3 Medium, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|All-purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
1) In a large bowl, place the meat.
2) In a saucepan combine together vinegar, water, onions, honey, salt, pepper, bay leaves and cloves and bring to boil.
3) Cool the vinegar mixture and pour over the meat.
4) Add the lemon to the meat.
5) Cover and refrigerate the meat for 3 days.
6) Turn the mixture each day.
7) Remove the meat from the marinade, reserve the marinade and dry the meat with paper towels.
8) Strain the marinade.
9) In a large skillet, heat oil and brown the meat on all sides.
10) In a large pot, place the meat and add 1 1/2 cup of marinade.
11) Cover and simmer for 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours, or until tender, add more marinade if necessary.
12) Add the vegetables and cook for 45 minutes more or until the vegetables and meat is cooked.
13) Remove the meat and vegetables in a platter and keep warm.
14) In a cup, mix cold water and flour.
15) Thicken the gravy with flour mixture and simmer for 4 minutes and adjust seasoning.
16) Slice the meat and serve on a serving plate along with the vegetables and top with sauce.