|Beef chuck steak||2 Pound, cut into 1 1/2 inches thick|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Mixed pickling spice||2 Tablespoon|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1 Ounce|
1) Clean the meat and remove the sinus and fat off.
2) Rub the meat with salt and ginger, place in the large bowl.
3) In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, onions, pickling spice, bay leaves, peppercorn, cloves and sugar, bring to boil.
4) Cool the vinegar mixture and pour over meat.
5) Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight, turning once or twice.
6) Remove the meat from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
7) Dry the meat using paper towels.
8) In large skillet, heat the shortening and brown the meat on all sides.
9) Add 2 cups of reserved marinade and half the onions and spices from marinade.
10) Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
11) In a cup, mix little cold water and flour.
12) Remove the meat and thicken the liquid with flour mixture.
13) Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes or until thickened, then strain.
14) Slice the meat and place on the serving plate, spoon the sauce on top.
15) Serve potato dumpling or mashed potatoes on side if desired.
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.8%
Saturated Fat 12.3 g61.3%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 99.8 mg33.3%
Sodium 422 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.3%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 4.2% Iron 17.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet