Good and Easy Sauerbraten
|Lean boneless shoulder roast||3 Pound|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Wine vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Gingersnaps||16 , crushed to fine crumbs|
1) Preheat oven to the desired temperature of 475 Â°F.
2) Add salt and pepper to the roast .
3) Place in a Dutch oven and roast without lid in preheated oven until both sides are browned, turning once after 4 or 5 minutes on each side.
4) Remove from the oven, scatter vinegar and water over the roast.
5) Arrange onion slices on top, add bay leaves to the pot liquid.
6) Cover with lid and return to the oven.
7) Lower the heat to 350Â°F and cook 1 1/2 hours or until soft.
8) Now add gingersnaps, replace the lid and cook further for 30 minutes.
9) Add additional water may be added to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
10) Remove meat from gravy and thinly slice before serving.