Quick Sauerbraten Steaks
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Mixed vegetable flakes||1 Tablespoon|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Individual steaks||32 Ounce (Four Of 8 Ounces Each)|
1) To make the sauerbraten sauce, in a small saucepan, melt the margarine or butter. Add the salt, flour, ginger, cloves and pepper and stir well. Cook the mixture, constantly stirring, till it is bubbly.
2) Add ½ cup of water, vegetables flakes, brown sugar and vinegar and continue to cook and stir till the sauce is thick and has boiled for about 1 minute. Cover and keep aside.
3) Pan-broil the steaks till the preferred degree of doneness is achieved. A chicken steak which is about ½-inch thick will take about 3 minutes of cooking to be ‘medium’ done. Remove the steak from the pan and keep it warm.
4) Into a skillet, stir the remaining ½ cup of water, scraping to loosen the brown glaze in the pan. Add the contents of the skillet to the sauce kept aside and heat it till it is boiling. Pour some of the sauce all over the steaks and put the remaining in a heated sauce-dish.
5) Serve the steaks right away with the sauce on the side.