Easy Sauerbraten - German Sour Pot Roast
|Chuck roast||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Cider vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red wine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Seasoned pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Chopped carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Medium Ones)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Gingersnaps||8 , crushed to make 2/3 cup|
1. To prepare the meat for marinating, tie the meat with a string around the edges, inorder to keep it’s shape. Place in a large glass bowl.
2. In a 4 cup measure or medium-size bowl, mix vinegar, wine, salt, pepper and allspice. Pour this over the meat, covering all the meat with the sauce.
3. Add vegetables to the bowl .Cover with a lid and marinate overnight in the refrigerator( 24 hours). Constantly check the meat and turn it over to ensure an even marination.
4. When the meat is marinated, check to see if the muscles in the meat will separate by pushing the long metal skewers through meat.
5. Remove the meat only from the bowl, and dab flour on both sides coating evenly. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, fry meat till browned. Pour the remaining vegetables or marinade on the meat. Heat till boiling point and then cover reducinh the heat so it the meat can simmer. Allow the meat to simmer for 2 to 3 hours till it is tender. Remove from the heat add place neatly on a serving platter.
6. Strain liquid into a 4-cup measure; let stand a few minutes until fat rises to top. Gentily remove the fat using a ladder and return liquid to pan.
7. Press vegetables through a sieve and stir in with crushed gingersnaps.Continue to heat over the flame, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and is bubbly-hot.Reserve in a sauce bowl for later
8. Remove strings and skewers from meat. Carve meat into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
9. Serve the meat with the gravy on the side.
10. Serve meat with the steaming hot rice.