|Beef/Rump /chuck /sirloin||4 Pound|
|Onion||1 , cut in slices|
|Lard||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Red wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Place a large Dutch over or casserole, over a medium high flame on the stove.
3. Add the lard and allow it to melt.
4. When fat is hot, add the meat and brown evenly on both sides.
5. Remove the meat onto a platter
6. Add the onions to the fat and sauté until lightly browned
7. Add the vinegar, water, bay leaves, cloves and salt.
8. Blend in the flour and sugar.
9. Bring the gravy to a boil, until it is thick.
10. Return the meat to the casserole.
11. Cover the casserole with its lid and place in the preheated oven.
12. Stew for 2 ½ to 3 hours, turning and basting the meat frequently and adding the wine 30 minutes before the meat is tender.
13. If the gravy is too thick, add water to thin.
14. Add vinegar if the gravy lacks sourness.
15. Serve the stew hot over rice or with crust bread.