|Vinegar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Onions||2 Large, sliced|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Round beef heel||4 Pound|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), divided|
|Gingersnap crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Combine vinegar, water, bay leaves, cloves, pepper, mace, salt, sugar and onions in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cool and stir in salad oil.
2. Place meat in a deep bowl. Pour vinegar mixture over meat. Place in refrigerator. Let stand 2 to 4 days, turning meat once a day so it will marinate evenly.
3. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Cover surface of meat with 1/4 cup flour.
4. Heat shortening in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown well on all sides.
5. Strain marinade. Add 1 cup strained marinade to beef.
6. Cover with vac-control valve closed and simmer over low heat 3 to 4 hours or until meat is fork tender. Turn meat occasionally.
7. Remove meat to a hot serving platter. Add enough strained marinade to Dutch oven to make 2 cups liquid. Combine remaining flour with 1/4 cup cold marinade and stir until smooth. Stir into liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until smooth and thickened. Stir in gingersnap crumbs and heat thoroughly. Season to taste.
8. Slice beef and serve with gravy.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4615 Calories from Fat 2251
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 255 g392.4%
Saturated Fat 74.3 g371.3%
Trans Fat 6.9 g
Cholesterol 736 mg245.3%
Sodium 4138.1 mg172.4%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46.6%
Dietary Fiber 15.1 g60.4%
Sugars 48.1 g
Protein 399 g798.2%
Vitamin A 3.9% Vitamin C 83.6%
Calcium 56.9% Iron 140.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet