|Eye round pot roast||6 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Parsnip||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Leeks||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Quart|
|Lard||2 Tablespoon (Drippings)|
|Rye bread heel||1|
1. Lard the roast with salt pork and season with the salt and pepper.
2. Place the meat in a large bowl and add the vegetables, bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns and juniper berries. Bring the vinegar to a boil and pour over the top. Let the meat marinate, covered, a week or more in the refrigerator, turning it twice daily.
3. Remove the meat and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Reserve the marinade. In a Dutch oven heat the fat, add the meat and brown on all sides. Add the marinade with the vegetables, making sure the liquid does not come more than halfway up the meat.
4. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, three to four hours. Toward the end of the cooking period, add a heel of rye bread.
5. Remove the roast to a warm platter and keep hot while preparing the gravy.