Sherry sauce is prepared using sherry and it is sometimes used as a base for preparing beef, shrimp, chicken, and fish dishes. The sherry sauce recipes are varied and diverse and can be experimented upon by combining various ingredients.
Sherry cream sauce is the popular variation of sherry sauce that is served with seafood or white fish and fishes like snapper, halibut, and haddock.
Popular Types of Sherry Sauces
Following are some of the popular sherry sauces-
- Sherry Cream Sauce – This sauce is prepared by cooking sherry with cream and other ingredients like butter, garlic, onion, whipping cream, and lobster base. The sauce is seasoned according to the taste preferences. Some of the popular seasonings include paprika, salt and pepper, Cajun or Creole seasoning, and ground nutmeg.
- Sherry Reduction Sauce – This is a popular gourmet sauce which is served over beef dishes. The sherry is cooked with ingredients like shallots, olive oil, butter, mushrooms, beef stock, garlic, and is flavored with chive, salt and pepper. The sauce is also used for light veal, chicken, or pork dishes by replacing the beef stock with chicken stock. The sauce is thickened by the addition of roux which is prepared by cooking the butter with flour.
- Sherry Mushroom sauce – This sauce is served over chicken breasts and pork chops. It is prepared by cooking the sherry with butter, onion, garlic cloves, mushroom and flour. It is thickened with roux which is prepared by cooking the flour with butter. The sauce is flavored using paprika, dried marjoram, dried thyme, salt, and ground pepper and sometimes it is lightened by the adding little more vegetable stock and sherry.
- Ginger Sherry Sauce – The sauce is served over shrimp. It is prepared by boiling sherry with ginger root, garlic, butter, salt and pepper. The sauce is usually prepared a day in advance to develop its full flavors and served after whisking in salt and pepper or lemon juice.
- Herb Sherry Sauce – The sauce is flavored with parsley and sweetened with honey and it is prepared using dry sherry, fresh ginger, lemon zest, and whole mustard seeds. It is served over pork tenderloin.