Scallop sauce is a condiment made using scallops. This gourmet sauce is served with French bread or any regular bread. The term is also used to depict sauces which are generally served over scallop dishes.
Ingredients and Method of Preparation
- Ingredients – Sea scallops, flour, salt, black pepper, olive oil, butter, tomatoes, fresh parsley, garlic, fresh basil, heavy cream and one loaf of French bread are required to make this sauce.
- Method of Preparation – The scallops are cleaned and coated with flour before frying in oil and butter mixture and are sautéed until they brown on both the sides. Fried scallops are seasoned with salt and pepper and kept aside. The tomatoes, parsley, and garlic are sautéed in skillet with butter and oil mixture. The cream is added to the mixture and cooked until it starts coating the sides of spoon. Fresh basil and scallops are introduced to the mixture and cooked until the sauce thickens. The sauce is seasoned before serving.
- Serving – The scallop cream sauce is served as an accompaniment of French bread.
- Way of consumption – Scallops are eaten first and the remaining sauce is mopped using the bread.
Popular Scallop Sauces
Following are some of the popular variations of scallop sauce, which differs from the original recipe by the choice of ingredients and their method of serving.
- Scallops – Garlic Cream Sauce – This gourmet sauce is best served during special occasions with an accompaniment of freshly baked breads or pasta or rice.Olive oil, garlic cloves, shallots, white wine, fresh parsley leaves, fresh basil leaves, thyme leaves, heavy cream, sea scallops, and pecorino Romano are used in the preparation of dish. A variation is created by substituting half portion of the scallops with shrimps.The sauce is served after garnishing with pecorino cheese and parsley sprigs.
- Scallop Tomato Sauce – This sauce is served over pasta dishes or it is teamed with them.Olive oil, chopped green onion, garlic, sea scallops, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, freshly ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning are required to make this sauce.The sauce is served over angel hair pasta and garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
- Scallon Saffron Sauce - This is one of the popular gourmet sauces in Italian cuisine. It is prepared using unsalted butter, extra virgin olive oil, sea scallops, dry wine, heavy whipping cream and saffron threads. This sauce is often served as a main course and is valued for the choice of ingredients and unique method of preparation.