Chocolate Sauce is defined as a pourable emulsion prepared by boiling chocolates with cream, milk or butter. The resultant dish is sometimes flavored using liqueurs, liquors and extracts and sweetened using artificial sweeteners.
Chocolate sauce is used as a topping over many desserts like pastries, cakes, chocolate rolls and many more. Sometimes this sauce is also prepared easily by mixing the ingredients in a blender. Chocolate sauce enhances the visual appeal of ice creams or other desserts to which it is added. Whipping cream, semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla are the common ingredients in the preparation of this dessert sauce.
This sauce can remain fresh for about 10 days on proper refrigeration.
Popular Chocolate Sauce Recipes
- Amaretto Chocolate Sauce – This sauce is best to be served with holiday desserts. It can be prepared easily in a matter of few minutes by boiling whipping cream, semisweet chocolate, and amaretto liqueur in a saucepan.
- Chocolate Cocoa Sauce – This sauce is made by blending milk, butter, sugar, Cadbury’s Cocoa powder, cream, cornflour and vanilla essence. It is served poured over ice cream or any pudding.
- Hot Fudge Sauce – This sauce is best to be served with banana splits. It is prepared by cooking the unsweetened chocolate, butter, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt and rum. The rum is added towards the end of cooking. It is best served warm over ice cream.
- Michel Roux’s Chocolate Sauce – This rich sauce is poured over profiteroles, puddings, cakes, and ice creams. This sauce is prepared using ingredients like good –quality dark bitter chocolate, milk, double cream, castor sugar, and butter. Michel Roux who devised this recipe suggests that flavors of the sauce can be enriched by the addition of Grand Mariner, and a pinch of crushed cardamom seeds.
- Mole Sauce – This is a popular Mexican sauce which is liked for its unusual spicy –chocolaty flavor. This sauce is prepared using lots of spices and chocolates. This sauce can be teamed with burritos, enchiladas, and chicken dishes. Chicken broth, olive oil, onion, garlic, dried oregano, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, chili powder, all-purpose flour, raisins, slivered almonds and dark chocolate are the ingredients required for its preparation. The chocolate is added towards the end of cooking.
- Chocolate Barbecue Sauce – This barbecue sauce is prepared in tomato base with dark chocolate and ingredients like butter, garlic, onion powder, crushed dried Chinese chili pepper, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, golden brown sugar, cumin, cinnamon , chopped cilantro, and sea salt.
- Chili Chocolate Sauce – This sauce is prepared by cooking dark chocolate, heavy cream, butter and chili powder.
- Chocolate Crackle Sauce – This sauce solidifies when poured over ice cream. Sometimes it is served as a standalone dessert after topping with a whipped cream and cherry. The sauce is prepared using butter, chopped pecans, and grated chocolate. Chopped pecans impart crackling effect to the sauce.
- Chocolate Espresso Sauce – This sauce tastes good when served over coconut cake or an ice cream. It is prepared using espresso, vanilla, sugar, heavy cream and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Sauce – This sauce is best to be served warm. It can be refrigerated for a long time and needs to be reheated just before serving time. It is prepared using ingredients like Macadamia nuts, fine quality bittersweet chocolate, sugar and heavy cream.
- Fudge Nut Sauce – This sauce is prepared using white sugar, brown sugar, heavy cream, butter, chocolate, nuts and vanilla. The sauce is best to be served over ice creams and other puddings. It stays fresh for long time if refrigerated properly.
- Peanut Butter Fudge Sauce – This sauce makes a delicious ice cream topping and it is prepared by combining the peanut butter with chocolate chips in a heavy cream. The sauce is sweetened by the addition of corn syrup.
- Mocha Sauce – This is one of the universal toppings for cold puddings and ice creams. It is prepared by combining butter, chocolate chips and hot black coffee. This sauce is easily prepared by blending the ingredients in food processor.
- Lemon Lavender – This is one of the gourmet sauces involving chocolate. This dessert sauce is popularly served in many of the European restaurants operating across the globe. This white chocolate based sauce is hinted with lavender and a squirt of lemon juice. It is best to be served after drizzling over a sherbet or it can be served as a dessert after topping with fresh berries. The sauce can enrich the flavor of many desserts.
- Blackberry Hot Fudge – This sauce is seasonal because it is usually prepared during the time when blackberries are available in abundance. It is prepared by topping the hot fudge with blackberries. It teams well with most of the ice cream flavors but is considered ideal for topping vanilla ice cream.
- Pomegranate Chocolate Sauce – Slowly this sauce is gaining popularity in Europe and other parts of the world due to its healthiness and richness in terms of its ingredients. It is prepared using pomegranate juice and melted chocolate. This sauce is considered good for all those who are suffering from some heart related ailments.