Cheese sauce is prepared by cooking any kind of cheese with flavorsome ingredients like spices, and herbs. These cheese sauces are sometimes referred to as white sauces. The cheese sauces are usually served as a topping for vegetables, meat, or pasta. It is also served as a side dish for many main dishes. Usually the cheese sauces are milk based. The cheeses are cooked with milk and seasoned with pepper and salt .
Cheese Sauce Recipe – Preparation Overview
Ingredients - Cheese sauce can be prepared in many ways using various combining ingredients. Milk and cheese remains unique to all kitchens where this sauce is prepared. In a simple manner, a cheese sauce can be prepared using ingredients like evaporated milk, finely processed American cheese, pepper and paprika.
Method of Preparation – The cheese sauce preparation begins by heating milk in a saucepan. The milk is boiled and cheese is blended into it. The sauce is stirred until the cheese completely melts and gets dissolved in the milk. The cheese sauce is then flavored using paprika and pepper.
Serving – The cheese sauce is best to be served with vegetables, and macaroni. It is also served as a sauce for sandwiches and hot dogs.
Cheese Sauce Recipe Variations
- Mornay Sauce – This is a classic French cheese sauce prepared by combining cheeses like parmesan cheese, gruyere, etc. The cheese is named after Duke of Mornay. This sauce is always perceived as a predecessor to béchamel sauce. French use the Mornay sauce to top their steamed vegetables, poultry dishes and pasta. It is also combined with pasta to prepare alfredo and macaroni.
- Alfredo Sauce – This is a very popular cheese sauce from Italy which is prepared by cooking the butter with half-and half cream, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and black pepper. This sauce is usually teamed with nice green salad, garlic bread and red wine.
- Pesto Sauce – It is considered to be delicious addition for cheese spreads, pasta, grilled fish, pizza and chicken toppings. This Italian cheese sauce is prepared by cooking parmesan cheese with pine nuts, basil, garlic and olive oil.
- Quesco Blanco Mexican White Cheese Dip – This Mexican white sauce variant is popularly served in many Mexican restaurants across United States. It is usually teamed with flour tortilla and chips. Monterey jack cheese, or Chihuahua cheese, or asadero cheese are used in the preparation of this sauce dip. The Tex Mex version of sauce is prepared with Monterey Jack cheese,and Mexican version of sauce is created with Asadero. Chihuahua cheese, green chilies, half-and half, ground cumin, salt, Serrano pepper, and fresh cilantro are required to prepare this dish.
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce – This cheese sauce is popular throughout the world and it is usually used for topping cooked pasta, vegetables, or is used as an ingredient in some pasta based dishes. It is usually prepared using ingredients like butter, flour, salt, white or black pepper, milk , and smoked cheddar or grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Three Cheese Sauce – There are many variations to this sauce. One popular combination of cheeses used in the sauce preparation include cheddar cheese, Gruyere cheese, and Parmesan cheese. These cheeses are cooked with wine, mustard powder, paprika, white pepper, salt and grated nutmeg.
- Four Cheese Sauce – The four cheese sauce is usually served with fettuccine, gnocchi, and Garlicky French bread. This cheese sauce is prepared using whipping cream, butter, Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, Provolone cheese and Romano cheese. Many variations of this sauce are created by varying the combining cheeses. This sauce has short shelf life in comparison to other cheese sauces.
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce- This cheese sauce is mostly teamed with gnocchi, and spinach pancakes. All-purpose flour, shredded smoked Gouda cheese, and low-fat milk cheese are used in the preparation of this sauce.
- Gruyere Cheese Sauce – This sauce variant is prepared using gruyere cheese and it is considered best to be teamed with spinach pancakes, grilled cauliflower, grilled kebabs and many such crunchy dishes. It is prepared by combining the butter, all-purpose flour, whole milk, grated gruyere cheese, kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Nacho Cheese Sauce – This sauce is popularly served with the tortillas. It is spiced up with jalapenos. It is prepared using ingredients like butter, all-purpose flour, milk, processed American cheese, and salt. For special occasions, the nacho cheese sauce is prepared using special gourmet cheeses.
- Boursin Cheese Sauce – This sauce is prepared using the Boursin cheese, which comes from the region of Normandy in France. The cheese is also popular in USA, where this cheese sauce is served as a dip for many savory dishes like poultry, vegetables, and beef. This sauce is prepared by combining butter, all-purpose flour, milk, white wine, Boursin cheese, salt, parsley and rosemary.
- Fontina Cheese Sauce – This cheese sauce is prepared by combining white sauce mix with water, Fontina Cheese, dry milk, unbleached flour, salt and butter. This sauce is best to be teamed with gnocchi, and other pasta based dishes.