Broccoli sauce is sauce prepared using broccoli as a base ingredient. The term is also commonly used to refer to a sauce that is typically served with broccoli dishes as an accompaniment. Broccoli based sauce is an integral part of Italian cuisine and it is used as a condiment in the preparation of several pasta dishes and is sometimes teamed with vegetable salads and baked potatoes.
Broccoli Sauce Recipe from Calabria in Italy
- Ingredients – Broccoli, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and salt are used in the preparation of sauce.
- Method of Preparation – Tender leaves and florets of broccoli are used in the preparation of sauce. The sauce preparation begins by sautéing garlic in pan, and then it is cooked with broccoli florets. Salt and water is added to the dish and cooked for about half an hour before adding the vinegar. The vinegar is allowed to evaporate before serving the sauce.
- Substitutions – The choice of ingredients vary depending on the usage of sauce. If the sauce is prepared as a dressing for the pasta dishes then vinegar is omitted and black pepper is added as a flavoring agent.
Popular Broccoli Sauces
- Broccoli –Based Pasta Sauce – This warm pasta sauce is prepared using broccoli, onions, garlic cloves, vegetable broth, lemon juice and salt. This sauce is prepared by sautéing chopped onions and garlic cloves in some broth or white wine. Broccoli is steamed and blended with other ingredients in an electric blender.
- Broccoli -Squash Sauce - This is a type of pasta sauce which is prepared using broccoli, pumpkin soup, sour cream, and milk. It is prepared by combining the broccoli, pumpkin, and other ingredients in a blender. This sauce is poured over pasta before serving.
Dipping Sauces for Broccoli Dishes
- Bagna Cauda Sauce – Bagna cauda sauce is a warm dip which is typical to Piedmont region of Italy. This sauce is served and consumed in the same way as the fondue and it is prepared using ingredients like olive oil, garlic, anchovies, butter and sometimes cream. This sauce is usually served during the autumn –winter months with roasted or boiled broccolis.
- Browned Butter Sauce – This is a butter based sauce prepared by boiling and browning butter in a skillet. Broccolis are steamed in the regular way and seasoned with salt and pepper before topping with the brown sauce.
- Garlic Sauce – This is a popular Chinese dish which encapsulates flavors of most of the Asian ingredients. Fresh broccolis are first sautéed and then steamed in the skillet. The sauce is prepared by stirring ingredients like garlic, fat –free vegetable broth, low-sodium soy sauce, cornstarch, brown sugar, and sesame oil. This no –cook sauce is poured over the steamed broccolis before serving.
- Herb Sauce – This recipe was published in the August 2009 issue of Healthy Chef. Sauce is prepared by cooking ingredients like olive oil, butter, ginger root, lemon rind, coriander and cheddar. Sauce is seasoned with pepper and salt before pouring over broccoli. Orange or lime is sometimes used as substitute for lemon to get a fruity sauce. In many European countries this dish has become a regular fixture in many winter parties.
- Hollandaise Sauce – Hollandaise sauce is a popular French sauce prepared with an emulsion of butter and egg yolk. The sauce is seasoned with lemon juice, pepper and salt. The sauce is poured over steamed broccolis before serving.