Ice Cream Trifle With Custard Sauce
|For the custard sauce:|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For the trifle:|
|Jelly roll||11 Ounce (Baker's)|
|Cream sherry||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla ice cream||3 Pint|
|Maraschino cherry juice||6 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), whipped|
1) To prepare the custard sauce, over a double boiler, heat the milk over direct heat. Bubbles must start to appear around the edge of the pan.
2) In a medium bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar and salt. Beat to mix all well. Slowly, pour in the milk while beating the mixture constantly.
3) Transfer the mixture back into the pan over the double boiler. Continue to cook over hot but not boiling water. Stir continously till a thin coating forms at the back of the spoon in about 15 minutes.
4) Next, mix in the vanilla extract. Strain the mixture into the bowl. Cover and chill the mixture.
5) Meanwhile, prepare the trifle by slicing the jelly roll into 10 slices.
6) Line the sides and bottom of a 2-quart serving bowl with 6 slices of jelly roll.
7) Sprinkle 1/4 cup of sherry on top and set the bowl aside.
8) In a large bowl, add in the ice cream and cherry juice. With and electric mixer beat till the ice cream softens. Start beating at low speed, before increasing to high. The ice cream must be of an even colour.
9) Transfer one-third of the ice cream onto the cake-lined dish. Place the remaining jelly slices on top. Drizzle rest of the sherry on top.
10) Spoon about a cup of the leftover ice cream on top, enough to cover the cake.
11) Transfer the rest of the ice cream into a 9X9X1 3/4 inch baking pan.
12) Cover and freeze the pan till it becomes firm in about 3 hours.
13) Scoop out small balls from the ice cream. Arrange them on top of the trifle in a bowl.
14) Garnish with whipped cream, maraschino cherries and angelica.
15) Serve Custard Sauce on the side.