Bagwell's Vegetable Terrine with Tomato Sauce
|Carrots||7 Small, pared|
|Asparagus stalks||7 , washed|
|Green beans||1⁄4 Pound, washed|
|Red pepper||1 Large, washed|
|Daikon radish/White turnips - 2||1 (Thin Japanese White Radish)|
|Fresh spinach||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Broccoli flowerets||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Boneless, skinless, chicken breasts||3⁄4 Pound, cut in to chunks|
|Dried tarragon leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|For the tomato sauce:|
|Ripe tomatoes||1 Pound (Regular Or Plum)|
|Red wine vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot red pepper sauce||1 Drop|
|Worcestershire sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1 Dash|
|Fresh tarragon leaves/Dried tarragon leaves - 1/4 teaspoon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Remove and discard stems from spinach.
2. Wash leaves carefully, blanch in boiling hot water until leaves are just flexible but haven't lost their color and drain well.
3. Generously coat a 9-by-5-by-2 3/4-inch loaf pan with olive oil and line with spinach leaves, leaving some of leaves hanging over edge.
4. Preheat oven to 300f.
5. In a large skillet bring 1 1/2 inches salted water to boiling.
6. Simmer carrots, covered, 5 minutes.
7. Trim asparagus and green beans.
8. Add to skillet, cover and set aside 5 minutes.
9. Discard seeds from red pepper and slice into 1/2-inch strips.
10. Peel daikon or turnips and cut into julienne slices.
11. Add to skillet, cover and set aside for about 5 minutes only.
12. In a processor fitted with chopping blade process combining broccoli, parsley, chicken and egg whites until smooth.
13. Continue processing until well combined adding tarragon, nutmeg, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, the pepper and half of cream and gradually add remaining cream.
14. Drain reserved vegetables well.
15. In the bottom of prepared pan spread a little chicken mixture and make a layer of red pepper.
16. Continue layering vegetables, alternating with chicken mixture, using asparagus, daikon, green beans and carrots in that order.
17. Fold spinach leaves over mixture, adding more, if necessary, to cover.
18. Brush with oil and cover with foil.
To make the tomato sauce:
19. In a saucepan in boiling water blanch tomatoes, remove skins and stems and cut in quarters.
20. In blender or food processor, combine vinegar, olive oil, red-pepper sauce, Worcestershire, pepper, salt and tarragon and blend until smooth.
21. Add tomato and blend just until tomato is chopped and refrigerate.
22. Into a shallow baking dish set on oven rack set pan, pour boiling water around pan to measure 1 inch and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
23. Cool terrine completely, then pour off liquid and unmold
24. Serve terrine in slices surrounded by Tomato Sauce.
25. If desired, garnish top with raw vegetables and serve.
Calories 955 Calories from Fat 729
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g127.4%
Saturated Fat 35.9 g179.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 234.3 mg78.1%
Sodium 602.3 mg25.1%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.2 g28.9%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 30 g60.2%
Vitamin A 439.7% Vitamin C 149%
Calcium 21.1% Iron 23%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet