Fowl with Parsley Sauce
|Fowl||1 , jointed if very large|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as required)|
|Black peppercorns||To Taste|
|Onion||1 Small, peeled and quartered|
|Mixed fresh herbs||1 Pound (a bunch)|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (to garnish)|
|White pepper||To Taste|
1) Weigh the fowl to calculate the cooking time and wash and dry thoroughly.
2) Truss with string to make it easy to handle.
3) Put the fowl into the cooker, without the trivet, and add the water to half fill the cooker.
4) Bring to the boil and skim well.
5) Place the peppercorns in a bag and crush lightly with a rolling pin.
6) Add the onion, herbs and crushed peppercorns.
7) Close the cooker, bring to high pressure and cook for the calculated time.
8) Reduce the pressure quickly.
9) Lift out the fowl, drain well and remove the string.
10) Cut the fowl into serving portions, place on a warmed dish and keep hot.
11) Strain the liquid, reserve 300 ml/1/2 pint and rinse and dry the cooker.
12) Melt the butter or margarine in the cooker, add the flour and cook gently for 1 minute, stirring well.
13) Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the reserved cooking liquid and the milk.
14) Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
15) Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
16) Pour over the fowl and garnish with chopped parsley.
17) Serve the fouwl with plain boiled rice or buttered boiled potatoes.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2107 Calories from Fat 558
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g96%
Saturated Fat 25.3 g126.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1001 mg333.7%
Sodium 1706.9 mg71.1%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g29.9%
Sugars 13.4 g
Protein 322 g643.9%
Vitamin A 463.5% Vitamin C 316.7%
Calcium 61.9% Iron 120.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet